Orpington hospital was built by the Government of Ontario as a military hospital during the First World War for wounded Canadian soldiers and by 1919 over 26,000 soldiers had been treated. 182 soldiers (88 of them Canadian) are buried in “Canadian Corner” in All Saints’ churchyard. The Ontario coat of arms was displayed at the hospital until it was redeveloped in the 1970s.
When Orpington Hospital was redeveloped the coat of arms were salvaged and have finally found a permanent home in All Saints’ church. They have been mounted on the North wall of the “old church”, close to the stained glass windows commerorating those who died in two world wars. The coat of arms were unveiled in their new position on 14th May 2017 by Alan Clarke, President of the Orpington branch of the Royal British Legion.
The motto on the coat of arms, “Ut incepit Fidelis sic permanet” (Loyal she began, loyal she remains), refers to the loyalist refugees from the American Revolution who settled in Canada. The cross of Saint George is included as the name saint of king George III, in allegiance to whom they first came to the land that would form the province of Ontario. The coat of arms also includes three golden maple leaves representing Canada, a moose, a deer and a black bear.